Building brand awareness and reaching out to customers are important if you’re running a small to medium business, competition is high, and with today’s digital age comes the frequently asked question, “How do you promote your brand online?”
Pay-per-click (PPC) and search engine optimization (SEO) are two of the most effective and widely used methods for marketing online. Companies that offer website optimization services in the Philippines and around the world will often have an SEO or PPC expert on hand. But because they have different strategies and methodologies, businesses often question which channel to choose.
Whether you’re looking to get SEO or PPC, it’s important to get all the information you need to decide which channel to focus on. And we’re here to help you with just that.
So, let’s dig deeper on the subject. What features do PPC and SEO have that can help you with your decision?
Why do you need a pay-per-click campaign?
Pay-per-click is a way for you to run ads on the results pages of search engines like Google, or on social media platforms like Facebook. It gets its name because every time a user clicks on your sponsored ad, you have to pay the search engine hosting it.
PPC can mean search ads, display ads, social media ads, or Retargeting ads, however, when talking about Google and PPC, search ads is usually what comes to mind.
Search ads boil down to bidding for search engines to put your ads on top of the results page for specific keywords.
- Budget: PPC relies on bidding upfront and when done right, can be cost-effective. Your PPC budget should be flexible, but its efficiency relies on your landing page’s ability to convert visitors into buyers.
- Approach: Creating a PPC strategy involves data and analytics. Many rely on bidding for heavily searched keywords that draw in a lot of competition. To reach their campaign goals, good PPC campaign strategists will usually recommend keywords that have a good balance of traffic and competition.
- Time: If your analysts choose the right keywords and you have optimized your landing page for them, PPC should yield good results. You’ll start getting clicks once your ad is up and appearing on the results page. However, keep in mind that your ads will need a significant amount of budget in order to continuously run.
Why do you need an SEO campaign?
Search engine optimization is a long-term approach to digital marketing. In simple terms, it’s about improving and optimizing your content for your customers which in turn will help to rank your website on search engines, like Google.
The process, however, is not simple, as Google regularly updates its algorithm and that can affect your ranking. If you don’t have the expertise, you may not be able to keep up with Google’s algorithm updates. That’s why some businesses opt to either hire a search engine optimization company or build a team to create an SEO strategy for them.
- Budget: SEO is a long-term investment and not a one-time transaction. That’s why some businesses choose to have their own digital marketing division to do SEO for them. But the cost of hiring a full team of SEO experts as well as the cost of resources can stack up quickly. It’s usually more efficient to outsource the work to SEO providers because they already have the available resources and expertise to consistently deliver great results.
- Approach: SEO is all about optimizing your content for the right keywords and attracting organic traffic to your website. The goal is ranking high on the first page of search engine results in order to attract your target customers. Like PPC, an SEO campaign relies on data and analytics to determine the right keywords to target.
- Time: SEO is a long-term strategy because it tries to organically attract visitors to your website, rather than use ads. Optimizing your content and website can take time, meaning it might take a while before seeing results. If you think SEO is the approach for your company, you must look at it as a long-term investment.
Why you need both PPC and SEO?
The specific nature of PPC draws in buyers who already know what they want and have very specific questions for search engines. For example, if someone inputs “lemon meringue pie bakeshop near me” in the search query, they’re more likely to be craving that dessert and susceptible to a targeted advert.
On the other hand, a user searching for “lemon meringue pie” could be browsing for recipes or for opinions on the dessert. If you’ve optimized your site for those keywords, you may draw them to your site and have the time to persuade them into trying your deserts.
Both SEO and PPC are incredibly useful tools for boosting online traffic and conversions. Although they’re powerful individually, using both channels will help you maximize your business’s online potential. Here’s how you can make the most out of SEO and PPC by merging their features and benefits.
- When analyzing keywords to use, determine if they would be too costly or too risky to leave to PPC. You can make them the driving point of your SEO approach instead.
- Use PPC to retarget organic visitors through marketing offers that would entice them to return to your website.
- Use your PPC campaign to determine which ad copies or what kind of language appeals to your audience. You can then use this information to improve your website and your SEO strategy. Testing strategies on PPC and determining their success before implementing them in SEO saves you time readjusting.
- Combining the data from your PPC and SEO campaigns can significantly help you in fine-tuning your campaign. Metrics such as Click-through Rate, Bounce Rate, and Conversion Rate that can be found in both SEO and PPC, can help you determine which keywords are more effective or relevant, especially with generating leads.
In many ways, digital marketing levels the playing field between big corporations and smaller businesses. Unlike traditional media, which can be prohibitively expensive, both SEO and PPC are affordable for a lot of businesses.
With all the benefits that PPC and SEO bring to the table, using these two techniques in tandem rather than separately will unlock the full potential of your business.
Better Together with the Right Partner
Finding the right digital marketing agency to assist you with your SEO and PPC campaigns is essential if you want to succeed. Truelogic offers these services and more, along with our years of experience in the industry.
Contact us today to learn what we can do for you.
Latest posts by Itamar Gero (see all)
- SEO and PPC: Better Together - November 7, 2019
- How Much Does a Website Cost? - February 6, 2019
- Digital Marketing — Redefining How You Target Your Audience - April 4, 2018