What is the Google Ad Quality Score?
The Google Ad Quality Score is a diagnostic tool that provides you useful insights on how much better your ads are compared to other ads on a keyword level. It also provides guidance on how you can improve your ads, landing pages, and even the keywords itself.
Your Ad Score falls between 1 to 10. If you have a high score, it means that your ad and landing page are more helpful and relevant to the people searching for the keyword of your choice compared to other advertisers. Hence, as an advertiser, the aim is to achieve a higher score because this increases the chance of a conversion.
Moreover, the score also affects your ads’ cost per click. The higher the score, the less expensive it is because you can achieve more clicks for the same budget.
The question now is, how do you achieve a higher Ad Quality Score?
How to Optimize and Achieve a Higher Ad Quality Score
If you want to achieve a higher Google Ad Quality Score, consider the following or think about working with a Google ads agency.
1. Start With the Right Keywords
As mentioned earlier, your ad score is at a keyword level. Therefore, it’s only right that you choose the right keywords.
Just because your keywords are related to your business or brand doesn’t mean that it will perform well. Hence, the idea is to conduct thorough keyword research to compile the most valuable keywords that have the potential to drive more traffic to your website.
For keywords, the following strategies might help:
- Aim to have relevant ad groups that contain similar keywords.
- Check your search query and, whenever possible, choose long-tail keywords.
- As much as possible, your headlines should contain your primary keyword.
2. Mind the Ad Groups
To increase your Google Ad Score, it’s best to have several ad groups. Creating just one ad makes it hard for people to find your business online.
Also, make sure that your ad groups are relevant to what your market is searching for.
3. Be Strategic with Your Landing Page
Once a potential customer clicks an ad, they will be redirected to the landing page. Essentially, it is on the landing page where your customer will decide to buy or to “bookmark” your brand for later. Hence, you must be meticulous and thoughtful with the information that you provide.
For one, the promise of the ad should reflect on the landing page. If you promise a discount and it’s not on the landing page, people may leave and distrust your brand.
Here are the other ways to optimize your landing page to achieve a higher ad score:
- Steer clear of “generic” landing pages. As much as possible, your landing page should reflect the personality of your brand and what you offer.
- Design your landing page with the customer in mind. For instance, make sure that it’s easy to read and navigate, quick to load, and, more importantly, it’s mobile-friendly.
- Remember to focus on relevant and useful content.
4. Work On Your CTR
Ads that have a higher click-through rate achieve a higher score. Thus, it’s crucial to produce ads that people will click. Still, make sure that your landing pages deliver what your ads promise. It wouldn’t help to have a high CTR at the expense of your brand’s trustworthiness.
Here are some tips to achieve a higher click-through rate:
- Ensure that your text is appealing to the target audience.
- Don’t forget to use relevant keywords.
- Showcase the benefits of purchasing your brand. (What sets it apart from others?)
- Highlight enticing offers like discounts or free shipping.
- Remember to include a call to action.
5. AB Test Your Ads
Trial and error is something that many advertisers are accustomed to because it’s one of the most effective means to determine which ads work better, so don’t be afraid to AB test your ads regularly.
Some of the different variables you can explore in AB testing are keywords, headlines, descriptions, visuals, and the time you push them out online.
A higher Google Ad Quality Score means your ads are more relevant and useful to the people searching for your chosen keywords. In addition, from the standpoint of cost efficiency, you save more with a higher desired score.
Remember, the higher your Google Ad Quality score is, the less expensive your cost per click will amount to, and the more budget you’ll have for other lead-generating campaigns.