Typhoon Haiyan ripped through the Philippines on Friday, devastating thousands of homes and lives. The super typhoon destroyed 70-80% of the structures in its path, displaced more than 600,000 people, and may have killed an estimated 10,000.
I’d like to call on everyone to open their hearts and help in whatever way they can. I’ve listed some of the ways you can reach out and help the typhoon survivors below.
Local Relief Efforts
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is accepting donations at their National Resource Operations Center (NROC), located at NAIA Chapel Road, Pasay City. You can contact Roel Montesa at +639263469927 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and Elma Pille at email@example.com.
They are also looking for volunteers to help with the repacking of relief goods at DSWD-NROC. You can call +63851-2681 to volunteer.
They are also accepting cash deposits through the DSWD Landbank of the Philippines account Nos. 3122-1011-84 (Current), and 3124-0055-81 (Savings), or by contacting Fe Catalina Ea at 09186281897.
Gawad Kalinga has activated Operation Walang Iwanan to help the typhoon survivors. They are calling on everyone to donate and volunteer at relief centers and schools around Antique, Cebu, Iloilo, and Negros Occidental.
You can donate through credit card by filling out this form, or through bank deposit at the following accounts:
- Gawad Kalinga Philippine Peso Current (BPI EDSA Greenhills branch) – Account No.: 3101 0977 56
- Gawad Kalinga US$ Savings Account (BPI EDSA Greenhills branch) – Account No.: 3104 0162 34; Swift code: BOPIPHMM
ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya is accepting in cash or in-kind. You can drop off in-kind donations at the Sagip Kapamilya Warehouse, #13 Examiner Street, West Triangle, Quezon City. For cash and check donations, visit the ABS-CBN Foundation Inc. Building at Mother Ignacia Avenue corner E. Lopez St. Barangay South Triangle, Quezon City (Tel. no. +632-411-4995/+632-415-2272 loc. 3765).
You can also donate through bank deposit, in pesos or dollars through the following bank accounts (all under the name “ABS-CBN Foundation Inc. – Sagip Kapamilya”):
- BANCO DE ORO (Sct. Albano, Quezon Avenue, Quezon City branch) – Account No.: 393- 011-4199; Swift Code: BNORPHMM
- BANK OF THE PHILIPPINE ISLANDS (West Triangle, Quezon City branch) – Account No.: 305-111-2775; Swift Code: BOPIPHMM
- PHILIPPINE NATIONAL BANK (Timog, Quezon City branch) – Account No.: 419-539-5000-13; Swift Code: PNBMPHMM
- METROBANK (Examiner-Quezon Ave. branch) – Account No.: 636-3-636-08808-1; Swift Code: MBTCPHMM
- BANCO DE ORO (Sct. Albano, Quezon Avenue, Quezon City branch) – Account No.: 393-008-1622; Swift Code: BNORPHMM
- BANK OF THE PHILIPPINE ISLANDS (West Triangle, Quezon City branch) – Account No.: 3054-0270-35; Swift Code: BOPIPHMM
- PHILIPPINE NATIONAL BANK (Timog, Quezon City branch) – Account No.: 419-539-5000-21; Swift Code: PNBMPHMM
GMA Kapuso Foundation
The GMA Kapuso Foundation is accepting in-kind donations at the Kapuso Center and foundation warehouse. You can bring or send your donations to:
- GMA Kapuso Foundation 2nd Floor Kapuso Center, GMA Network Drive corner Samar Streets, Diliman, Quezon City (Tel. no. +63928-4299/+63928-9351)
- GMA Kapuso Foundation Warehouse # 366 GMA Compound Tandang Sora Avenue Brgy. Culiat, Quezon City (Tel. no. +63931-7013)
They also accept cash donations in dollar or peso through the following accounts (all under the name “GMA Kapuso Foundation, Inc.”):
- METROBANK – Account Nos.: 3-098-51034-7 and 3-098-51566-7
- UNITED COCONUT PLANTERS BANK – Account Nos.: 115-184777-2 and 160-111277-7
- PHILIPPINE NATIONAL BANK – Account No.: 121-0032000-17
- BANCO DE ORO – Account No.: 469-0022189
- METROBANK – Account No.: 2-098-00244-2; Swift Code: MBTCPHMM
- UNITED COCONUT PLANTERS BANK – Account Nos.: 01-115-301177-9 and 01-160-300427-6; Swift Code: UCPBPHMM
- PHILIPPINE NATIONAL BANK – Account No.: 121-0032000-25; Swift Code: PNBMPHMM
- BANCO DE ORO – Account No.: 469-0072135; Swift Code: BNORPHMM
The Philippine Red Cross
I personally recommend sending cash donations to the Philippine Red Cross (PRC). You can contact PRC to arrange a pick-up, or send check (payable to The Philippine Red Cross) or cash donations to the PRC National Headquarters at Bonifacio Drive, Port Area, PO Box 280, Manila 1018. You can also give your cash or check donations to any Cebuana Lhuillier Pawnshop or 7-11 store nationwide.
You can also send online donations by filling out the following forms:
It warms the heart to see so many countries and people from outside the Philippines doing what they can to help. If you’re interested in offering cash donations to help the local relief efforts, you can do so through the following organizations (links lead straight to donation forms):
Check these other posts to for more information and other ways you can help.
- Rappler: #ReliefPH: Victims of Typhoon Yolanda need your help
- Mashable: 9 Ways to Help Victims of Typhoon Haiyan
- CNN: How to help Typhoon Haiyan survivors
- USA Today: How you can help Typhoon Haiyan survivors
- Huffington Post: Following Philippines Typhoon Haiyan, Here’s How You Can Help
Let’s all do what we can and keep the thousands affected by this calamity in our thoughts and prayers.